Sunday, March 18, 2012

Free Pattern: Newborn Button Tab Hat



Hat
Using an I hook and worsted weight thread (I used dark brown and beige) and changing colors after each round (I drop one color and pick up the other).

**Join with a slip stitch to the first hdc after each round.**

**Change colors after each round.**


**Chain 1 at the beginning of each round.**

**The bottom of your hat will be the opposite of whichever color you start with (when making this size).  I started with dark brown.**


Pattern:

Chain 2
Row 1: In first chain, hdc 8. Join to first hdc with a slip stitch.
Row 2: 2 hdc in each stitch around (16 stitches)
Row 3: 2 hdc in first stitch, 1 in the next around (24 stitches)
Row 4: 2 hdc in first stitch, 1 in the next 2 stitches around (32 stitches)
Row 5: 2 hdc in first stitch, 1 in the next 3 stitches around (40 stitches)
Row 6-11: Hdc in each stitch around (40 stitches)

At the end of Row 11, cut dark brown AND beige yarn, leaving long enough tails to weave in. 

Count 20 stitches from the fasten off point and reattach beige yarn.  (This will keep your seam from showing near the front of the hat).  Continue with beige.


Row 12: Sc in each stitch around (40 stitches). DO NOT JOIN!  Chain 7.  Turn. (40 stitches, 7 chains)
Row 13:  Chain 1.  Sc in each chain and in each stitch around. (47 stitches)
Row 14-15:  Repeat Row 13.

Fasten off and weave in ends. 

Using picture for placement, fold tab over and sew two buttons onto hat, securing the tab.

*This hat is for a newborn, and it should measure at least 5 inches in length (I usually try for 5 1/4 inches, for extra room). Depending on your tension, you may need to make more or less rows.  This may change the size of your button tab band.*


You may sell items made from my pattern if you so desire.  Whether you give me credit for it is entirely up to you.

DO NOT use my pictures.  Please use your own.  DO NOT copy my pattern.  Please link people back to this blog post:  http://adorablyhooked.blogspot.com/2012/03/free-pattern-newborn-button-tab-hat.html.  Please contact me at adorablyhooked@gmail.com if you have any questions.  Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Made two of these! So cute! Thank you for sharing through Ravelry! Do you have any pattern adjustments for different sizes? Ie: newborn, 0-3 months, 3-6 months, all the way up to adult? Right now I am sort of just guessing and I pull some out then put some in several times as I figure it out. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete